Teeth whitening procedures have become very popular over the last 20 years. They are a quick, easy and safe way to achieve pearly whites in a short space of time. Results can last for between 1 and 3 years, afterwhich it is advised to repeat the procedure.
Teeth Whitening Procedure
The following is the procedure followed at Shields Dental & Implant Clinic Limerick:
- Teeth whitening treatment involves the use of a mouth guard and a hydrogen peroxide-based gel at nighttime for approximately 2 weeks. A slow release of a prescribed dose of hydrogen peroxide causes the teeth to whiten gradually over time. This slow release ensures an excellent long term result.
2. The patient returns to the clinic for a check-up following the 2-week treatment period and is prescribed a special, non-abrasive whitening toothpaste. They are also advised to avoid smoking, red wine, tea/coffee, curries and other tooth staining foods as much as possible.
3. The best way to maximise the longevity of whitening or any dental treatment is good oral hygiene with regular visits to the dental hygienist. Your dentist can advise on products available for maintaining the effect of the teeth whitening treatment, based on an assessment of your lifestyle. Some people find that teeth can be sensitive for a few days after treatment, but the sensitivity wears off after a short while. Your dentist can therefore advise on products available to counteract this.
Success Rates of Home Teeth Whitening Kits
Over the counter teeth whitening kits are also popular, but they are not advised for use for various reasons:
- They are untested and unregulated and thus the safety of the procedure is questionable
- Hydrogen peroxide levels are generally poor, giving less than satisfactory results
- The potential for side-effects such as sensitivity is more likely
Teeth Whitening at Shields Dental & Implant Clinic
We have many years of experience in teeth whitening at our Limerick clinic. You can read further information on our teeth whitening procedures here.